Saturday, March 29, 2008

Saturday Ride

This morning I did my usual ride at Springton Manor Farm. I rode 7.9 miles. So far I have 48.6 miles on the Fantom 29. The bike performed flawlessly.



Now 48.6 miles is not a lot of miles on a bike. My fitness routine this winter has been usually strength training Monday, Wednesday, and Friday in my basement. Mountain bike ride Saturday and Road Bike ride Sunday. I always do this first thing in the morning and that is why I have not been bike riding during the week. I will have to wait until there is sunlight at about 6 am. In the Philadelphia area civil twilight will be at 5:56 am on April 14 and sunrise will be at 6:24 am.



What is civil twilight you say?

"Civil twilight is defined when the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon. This is the limit at which twilight illumination is sufficient, under good weather conditions, for terrestrial objects to be clearly distinguished; at the beginning of morning civil twilight, or end of evening civil twilight, the horizon is clearly defined and the brightest stars are visible under good atmospheric conditions in the absence of moonlight or other illumination. In the morning before the beginning of civil twilight and in the evening after the end of civil twilight, artificial illumination is normally required to carry on ordinary outdoor activities."



Bottom line it is light enough to ride at civil twilight.



So far this year I have ridden:

162 miles on my Raleigh Grand Prix

48.6 miles on my Motobecane Fantom 29

24.3 miles on the Mongoose Pro I was using before I bought the Fantom 29.

No comments: